Powered by Max Banner Ads
First, what the heck is Blogging Etiquette? I have found too many different Ideas in the blogosphere and some are opposing in using any Blog Etiquette, while others like academics do not ever do anything without following the "Rules".
Chris Brogan put this simple rules:
- If you’re blogging about someone else, link to them. It only takes a moment, and it’s how the Web was made to work.
- If you read a great blog post, and don’t have time to comment, consider passing it along simply, using StumbleUpon, Delicious, Google Reader Shared Items, or Friendfeed, to name a few.
- If you have time to comment, try to do better than “Great post.” If you can, add a few thoughts of your own, or recommend something the author didn’t cover.
- If you leave a comment, in the name section, don’t put all kinds of attempted search words. Most blogs’ comment sections don’t get picked up by Google, so it just comes off seeming like you’re trying to game search.
- It’s okay to comment about a post you wrote, and to leave a link, if it’s relevant. Just leaving a link to some random post you did- not so much.
If you want to read the full article you better check him out, I don´t want to break any Blogging Etiquette. (You see the link in his own name, guess I am safe, I haven´t forget to link).
Some others like Zona Marie Tan have a lot more to say, but seems they all agree about the basics like this line she wrote:
Be creative, don’t steal other people’s content. Just because you don’t have anything to write to maintain your blog, does not give you the right to copy and paste other people’s work onto yours.
Oh! Oh!, may I have already infringe this rule posting this little fraction of her post? I hope not, I am linking to her post, in case you haven´t notice the link is in "don’t steal other people’s content" wording, so if you want to read the whole article you better go over there and avoid me to break any Blogging Etiquette, I will not dare to publish any more content in here from her unless she told me so of course.
But there others that goes the other way around like James McGovern that seems does not like much the Etiquettes, he thinks it is more important to have a dialog with the readers, which I agree, but still not pretty sure about everything. Anyway here it is a tiny fraction of what he thinks:
Lots of bloggers have commented on etiquette. I am of the opinion that it is all hogwash. Etiquette is important but communication no matter how insightful (or inciteful) is more important. With this thought in mind, today’s blog entry is all about better ways to ignore etiquette…The one pattern that has I have noted in the folks who have blogged on this topic is that not a single one of them is an IT professional. In fact, the vast majority of folk who complain on this topic tend to be from academia. Violation of etiquette seems to be associated with us average folk not sucking up to them.
I do not worry too much with him about breaking any rules by publishing a fragment of his post, anyway he seems not caring about Etiquette, but still I gave his link so you can go and read his entire post, I do not like to plagiarize more than enough.
What I Believe.
I am sure even you have your own rules about blogging activities. My rules are basic and simple this is what I believe:
Reciprocity. This is about every activity in blogging such as:
- Commenting. Returning the favor as soon as possible (I may take sometime to do this since there are a lot of places to comment, but do not despair, I will check your site and comment in your blog, not spamming, Boy Scout Promise). By the way, try not to spamming me, please. I do moderate but only the first time when you are new in my community and if you leave a link in the comment section too. After approval you do not need to wait. Try to leave a comment that could be valuable to the general community, not just something like "love it" and that´s it, at least read the first sentence of the post and maybe the last ones so you may know what is all about.
- Subscribing to blogs that have already subscribe to mine, provided they are not in any illicit or porn related activities.
- Following at Twitter. I currently reach the limit to follow any more people but I am unfollowing the people that have not return the favor in order to follow my new followers, so If you follow me and I have not return the favor just leave me a comment and I will unfollow more people until I reach a ratio of approximately 1:1, but be sure I will follow you back.
- Tecnorati Faves I am also participating in another Fave Exchange you may join if you like.
- StumbleUpon Just tell me and I will be glad to exchange Stumbles.
I guess you got my point, I am in anything that can be beneficial for you and for the blogosphere community. If you want to reciprocate anything else just leave a comment or if you are too shy, no problem contact me, I will reply as soon as possible.
Socialize. This is basic to build a community and a business around your blog, if you do not interact with others then they will not trust you or care about any promotion you want to put in front of them, like I just got Alvin´s Atomic Blogging tutorial guide from a blogger friend Peter Lee´s link and the reason I got it from him it is mainly because I know him and he had socialized with me before he even post about that promotion (Ben sorry he won, but know I will need to buy your ebook when you put it live), so you see it finally had paid off for him.
Zig Ziglar had said that:
People do not buy based in what they see
People do not buy based in what they want
People do not buy based in what they need
People do buy based in what they Trust.
And that is the Etiquette I really follow, those may be pretty basic but they could make a whole lot of a difference in your business or blog.
What´s the Etiquette Rules that you follow? Have any? in the first place, if yes what is it?
To Your Success,
You´ll Love These Ones Too:
- How To Be Able Again To Follow At Twitter When You Had Reached Your Following Limit
- Entrecard Advertising on Marketing Business Review Half the Price in September
- Top Commentator Link Love – March 2009
- How To Make Entrecard Useful Besides The Flash Traffic Dropers in Your Site
- Top Commentator Link Love – February 2009